We are winding down our synopsis of the book, “The Great Cholesterol Myth,” only a few posts remain.
Let’s take a look at the class of drugs used to lower our blood cholesterol levels, called Statin Drugs.
What you should know:
- The benefit of Statin Drugs have been widely exaggerated.
- Statin Drugs deplete the co-enzyme Q10, an important nutrient for the heart.
- Depletion of Co-Q10 can cause muscle pain, weakness and fatigue.
- The brain depends on cholesterol to function optimally and help stimulate thinking and memory.
- Statin Drugs lead to a reduction in sex hormones and can cause sexual dysfunction.
- Statin Drugs may be associated with a higher risk for cancer and diabetes.
- A comprehensive study by the University of California San Diego, School of Medicine, showed that a majority of doctors dismiss complaints of side effects from Statins and do not report them to “MEDWATCH” the FDA’s system for reporting any undesirable experiences associated with the use of medical products or drugs. In other works, side effects are grossly under reported.