Lets Talk Supplements
Co Enzyme Q10 is a vitamin-like substance found throughout the body and made in every cell. Among the many important things it does, CoQ10, helps create energy from fuel (food), just as a spark plug creates energy from fuel (gasoline). The heart is one of the two organs where the most CoQ10 is concentrated (the other being the liver). The heart never sleeps. It beats more than one hundred thousand times a day, and is one if the most metabolically active tissues of the body. So it is very dependent on the energy-generating power of CoQ10.
Our body creates CoQ10 but we create less as we age, making it all the more important to supplement. As mentioned earlier, Statin Drugs significantly deplete CoQ10 levels. This is very important! If you are on a statin drug, you must supplement with CoQ10, the recommended amount is at lease 100mg twice a day.
Other important supplements for heart and blood health are:
- L-carnitine helps with angina, 2 grams daily
- D-Ribose, 5 grams daily for strenuous exercisers and 10-15 grams daily for those with heart disease or peripheral vascular disease.
- Magnesium helps control coronary artery calcium levels which prevents “hardening of arteries” 400-1000mg per day
- Niacin (B3), helps reduce the really bad LDL cholesterol molecules. 100mg a day at lease.
- Fish Oil Omega 3 – EPA and DHA are best, combined get at lease 1000 mg a day.